Photograph Archive of Public Buildings
Scroll down for outlying houses and
Photographs of Houses (mainly) in Danehill Central .
7 photos just added
Danehurst, Now an Augustinian care home. Built by Francis Davie in the Victorian period in Gothic style. It sits at the southern end of Church Lane
Baptist Chapel adjoining the old Danehill Stores, now converted to dwelling.
This was built by Crispen C. Newnham at the time of his marriage in 1926 and the ground floor of the house contained a shoe shop and workroom.
Advertisement in the Parish Magazine
Danehill Stores .A building has been here since the 1600's. It began as a forge,buit on the triangle of land surrounded by roads in cas of fire. The building to the left is the Baptist Chapel.
Early photo of Danehill Memorial Hall. Note the absence of windows on this face.
Davies Coat of Arms, which is above the door at Danehurst appears mysteriously to show a goat standing on a baby and eating leaves from the tree above.
First vicarage. Now Richard Bertram House on the A275 leaving Danehill
Oak Farm on the A275 south when leaving Danehill
Black Dog Cottage, Church Lane. Mrs Dier in foreground Once a public house.
White House, Danehill centre. Formerly a farm the Red Lion public house and then a shop/cafe.The rear of the house dates from c1425 and the front to the 18th century. All Saints in the background.
Little Collingford, Collingford Lane near the school.
Old Forge ,Freshfield Lane. Note ironmonger's shop on left hand side. Originally a farmhouse c1450.
Mount Noddy cottage, Church Lane
Black Dog Cottage, Church Lane, wuth Mrs Leigh.The cottage was a public house earlier in its history.
Little Collingford, Collingford Lane
Original Crocodile Public House, The original building was erected on the waste in 1701. In the will of James Luxtord brickmaker, dated 1847, it was described as a beerhouse. Presumably he was also a beer retailer. On his death in the same year, it passed to his widow, Mary, and in 1860 to John Harvey of Lewes, a brewer, with William May as the tenant. The earliest use of the name "The Crocodile" is in the Court Books of the Manor of Horsted Broadhurst in 1864, though to this day no has come up with a satisfying explanation as to why this unusual name was chosen. The house was rebuilt about 1907 and the May family remained licencees until 1954. In late 1980s it was closed and is now three private houses
The Working Men's Club and reading room built by Mr H C Hardy to occupy men working on the Church. Now rebuilt as the Social Club
Rear view of the Holy Trinity Chapel which was demolished after a destructive fire. It stood on the site of the War Memorial. The cottages have also gone.
Danehill Outlying Houses
Furners Green Houses
Proudly powered by