Mr and Mrs T. Funnell lived at the Oak Farm on the main road South –of the village where Mrs Funnell had a sweet and tobacco shop in the premises which had previously been a Beer House. Mr Trayton “Trate” Funnell had carriages for hire, ran the small farm and was a barber in his spare time. A new shop was built by Mr. and Mrs. Funnell on the North end of Rose Cottage (27) c 1922. This advertisement appeared in the Parish Magazine: MR AND MRS J B GARDINER had purchased the business by January 1929 and were at the shop for over 30 years. As the advertisement below shows, “wireless” had arrived: Mr Gardiner continued to supply and repair radios, and, when mains electricity arrived “wired” many of the village properties. Mr & Mrs F. Stevens purchased the business on the retirement of the Gardiners in 1962 and from that time it was called “The Corner Shop”.
In 1971 a little wooden hut next to the shop, which had housed Cris Newnham's bookmaker’s business until 1926, was demolished. The Corner Shop was then enlarged to its present size. The sweet and tobacco business closed down in 19 ??. The premises are now occupied by Blanchards, Estate Agents. Return to Map